Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2010

Ode to the Tube Sock

I know I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl.  I also know I'm not trendy or necessarily fashion forward, but I also don't think I'm living in a different decade either.  So when did the tube sock go out of style?  I apparently missed that message. 
If you read my last blog, you know that I have been going to the gym on a regular basis to work out with a trainer.  He makes a conscious effort to check out my socks because one day I was in a hurry and couldn't find two ankle socks that had the same color rim around the top.  One was green and the other hot pink.  On Tuesday this week, I was wearing my usual white tube socks that say Hanes in pink on the bottom of the foot.  I've probably had these socks for 7 or 8 years now.  I figured socks were like underwear, they don't really go out of style and you wear them  until they have holes in them, right?
Anyway, so he notices my tube socks and says, "Nice socks!"  I thought he was being serious because at least they matched.  I finally figured out yesterday that his statement wasn't a compliment when he joked about what socks I had on at Thursday night's class.  A friend of mine who is also in the class, started laughing and said she hadn't seen socks like those since high school track in the 80's.  What?!
Just so you know, this isn't the first time my tube socks have been an issue.  About two and half years ago, my husband and I took our daughter to the Omaha Zoo.  It was the first time any of us had been there.  I got ready in the hotel with my polo shirt, army green shorts, tennis shoes, and of course my Hanes tube socks.  My husband took one look at me and said, "You are not going in public looking like that."  He gave me a pair of his ankle socks and made me change.  I didn't know what the issue was, but I did thank him later for letting me wear his socks.  When we got to the ticket line,  I realized the only people that were wearing tube socks with tennis shoes and shorts where over the age of 60 and complimented the socks with a fanny pack.
I love my tube socks.  They keep my feet and lower calf/shin area nice and warm and dry, but I will succumb to the fashion trends of the twenty-first century.  Today is pay day, so I will go out and get me some new ankle socks...preferably ones without colored rings on the top, so I don't need to worry about them matching.

No comments:

Post a Comment